Tuesday, May 17, 2016

VGS Latest News & Tips: 17 May 2016

Today: Tuesday: May 17, 2016
Genetic Genealogy SIG Meeting
10:00 AM in the Rhett Butler Room at the Savannah Center
Tomorrow: Wednesday: May 18, 2016
Mid-Atlantic States SIG Meeting
9:30 AM in the Jasmine Room at the Hibiscus Recreation Center
Tomorrow: Wednesday: May 18, 2016
New to Genealogy SIG Meeting
2:30 PM in the Chateaugay Room at the Chatham Recreation Center

A Report From The 2016 NGS Conference:
Member Barb Bateman
L-R: Donna Moughty & Pat Adams NGS 2016
"It was my first National Conference. I did not know what to expect. It certainly exceeded all my expectations. I had a wonderful time. You girls made it so special for me (referring to my awesome roommates Pat Rand, Pat Adams and Ruth Wible). Thank you.
Definitely, the 2 sessions that I went to by Elizabeth Shown Mills were riveting. She explains everything so well and before you know it the answer is there. Then speaking with her at the banquet was awesome.
I guess my favorites were (no special order) Judy Russell, Diahan Southard, Amy Giroux, Mark Lowe, Josh Taylor, and Rebecca Koford. I know we have seen some of these at our seminars but I feel the others were really good and very interesting.
I loved being down in the Exhibit Hall.  Talking and seeing so many different exhibitors. Even our Florida Mayflower historian was there getting prospective members.  I also got a kick out of seeing Dick Eastman touting My Heritage. Talking to Bruce Busby and getting Roots Magic.  I couldn't have had a better time."

Genealogy Roadshow” Hosts Mary Tedesco (ORIGINS ITALY Founder), D. Joshua Taylor, and Kenyatta D. Berry return for season 3 of “Genealogy Roadshow” beginning May 17, 2016 (tonight) at 8:00 PM EDT on PBS stations.

Register HERE...

FindMyPast Has Added More Records:
FindMyPast

  • London Lives, Culture & Society 1680-1817
  • The London Gazette, supplements August 1914 -January 1920
  • Sussex Burials
  • Greater London Burial Index
  • United States Marriages
  • PERSI Update
  • Yorkshire Baptisms, Marriages & Burials
  • Britain School and University Register Books 1264-1930

In the Unites States Marriage collection over 10 million new records containing approximately 45 million new names have just been added to our collection of United States Marriage Records including substantial new additions from Indiana, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Maine.
Learn more...

DNA: The other side of the coin...
Judy G. Russell, The Legal Genealogist
"At the spring seminar of the New Hampshire Society of Genealogists, The Legal Genealogist stood before a group of enthusiasts and reminded everyone in the room (the speaker included) that DNA — as a research tool — has limitations. The one point I try to stress, each and every time I talk about using DNA testing, is this: DNA can tell us how we are biologically related to each other. DNA doesn’t — and can’t — tell us how families are formed."or, or anyone else–for even more convenient voice calling."
Continue reading...

What Is the Microsoft Office Upload Center, and Should You Disable It?
How-to-Geek
"The Office Upload Center is part of Microsoft Office. Install Office on your computer, and this tool will appear in your system tray. Sure, you can hide this icon, but should you? What exactly does it do, anyway?"
Continue reading...

This Day In History: 17 May
1792: Merchants form the New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
1875: The first Kentucky Derby is run in Louisville.
1987: In the Persian Gulf the American guided missile frigate USS Stark is struck by 2 Exocet missiles fired by an Iraqi aircraft; only one detonates, but 37 sailors are killed and 21 are wounded. Whether the launch was deliberate or a mistake is still debated.
1912 Birthday: Archibald Cox, special prosecutor in the Watergate hearings, fired by President Richard Nixon.


No comments: