Wednesday, May 11, 2016

VGS Latest News & Tips: 11 May 2016

Today: Wednesday: May 11, 2016
Irish Genealogy SIG Meeting
10:00 AM in the Osceola Room at the Chula Vista Recreation Center
Tomorrow: Thursday: May 12, 2016
German Genealogy SIG Meeting
9:30 AM in the Reliance Room at the Late Miona Recreation Center

When It Comes to Genetic Genealogy, Women Need Not Apply:
Huffpost Entertainment by Megan Smolenyak
"Not long ago, I observed that genealogy is now officially a TV genre. One of the reasons I felt confident in making this claim is the frequency with which I am approached by television producers about forthcoming shows. They reach out to pick my brains and I generally do my best to help because I have a conspicuous bias: I’d like to see as much genealogy on air as possible. But yesterday I received an inquiry that made me check the calendar to be sure it was 2016."
Continue reading...

Ancestry Updates Handling of Media:
Ancestry Insider
"Ancestry.com has updated their media upload experience. You can drag and drop files to upload or select them explicitly. While the upload takes place, you can add additional metadata about each file: title, media type (photo, document, etc.), place, and description. And you can link the file to persons in your trees."
Continue reading...

Sort, Scan, Share: How to NOT Drown in Family Memorabilia:
Family History Daily
"Not long ago, I observed that genealogy is now officially a TV genre. One of the reasons I felt confident in making this claim is the frequency with which I am approached by television producers about forthcoming shows. They reach out to pick my brains and I generally do my best to help because I have a conspicuous bias: I’d like to see as much genealogy on air as possible. But yesterday I received an inquiry that made me check the calendar to be sure it was 2016."
Continue reading...

Government Hill Resident Finds Tombstone Buried In Yard, and It's Not The First:
mySA
"A woman in Government Hill was working on landscaping in her yard this week when she found a tombstone for a 65-year-old man about four inches into the dirt."
Continue reading...

How to Password Protect Documents and PDFs with Microsoft Office:
How-to-Geek
"Microsoft Office lets you encrypt your Office documents and PDF files, allowing no one to even view the file unless they have the password. Modern versions of Office use secure encryption that you can rely on–assuming you set a strong password."
Continue reading...

This Day In History: 11 May
1792: The Columbia River is discovered by Captain Robert Gray.
1858: Minnesota is admitted as the 32nd U.S. state.
1860: Giuseppe Garibaldi lands at Marsala, Sicily.
1912 Birthday: Phil Silvers, comedian and actor.


No comments: