Thursday, April 28, 2016

VGS Latest News & Tips: 28 April 2016

Setting Up a DNA Cousin Match Database: A Success Story:
Young Savvy Genealogists
"DNA testing for genealogy is one of the best investments I've ever made into my research. The more I invest into my understanding of the subject, the greater returns I receive from it. And at no point was that ever more apparent than when I connected with a distant cousin several months ago."
Continue reading...

NGS 2016 Genealogy Conference Live Stream Information:
NGS
"Can’t make it to the NGS 2016 Family History Conference? You can still watch ten lectures from the comfort of your home or office!
NGS will stream these lectures live as it happens and you will continue to have access for three months following the end of the conference, through 7 August 2016. Not sure you can view live on 5 and 6 May? No problem. Your access credentials allow you to view the video recordings any time until 7 August.
The Live Streaming sessions take place 5–6 May 2016 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, (Eastern Standard Time) at the NGS 2016 Family History Conference. NGS members receive discounted pricing."
Continue reading...

How to Search Facebook Groups:
Roots & Recombinant DNA
"Somethings are just hiding in plain sight, and I'm going to show you one of them. If you belong to a Facebook group and want to search for something you or someone else previously wrote or posted, it can be very difficult to do. Especially in active FB groups. So you create a brand new topic...much to the chagrin of fellow posters and group administrators. As such, I'm going to show to SEARCH for a topic or comment you or someone else posted previously. It's really easy:"
Continue reading...

Picturing William B. Upton:
Family Sleuther
"As a family historian, I know I am very fortunate. I have a photograph of nearly all 16 of my 2nd great-grandparents. I know what each of them looked like except for one: William B. Upton."
Continue reading...

What Windows 10’s “Optional Features” Do, and How to Turn Them On or Off:
How-to-Geek
"Windows 10 comes with a number of “optional” features that you can turn on or off through the Windows Features dialog. Many of these features are intended for business networks and servers, while some are useful to everyone. Here’s an explanation of what each feature is for, and how to turn them on or off."
Continue reading...

This Day In History: April 28
1788: Maryland becomes the seventh state to ratify the constitution.
1789: The crew of the HMS Bounty mutinies against Captain William Bligh.
1916: British declare martial law throughout Ireland.
1879 Birthday: Lionel Barrymore, American stage, screen and radio actor.


No comments: