Wednesday, February 10, 2016

VGS Latest News & Tips: 10 February 2016

Today: Wednesday: February 10, 2016
Irish Genealogy SIG Meeting
10:00 AM in the Osceola Room at the Chula Vista Recreation Center
Tomorrow: Thursday: February 11, 2016
German Genealogy SIG Meeting
9:30 AM in the Reliance Room at the Late Miona Recreation Center

Paper Genealogy:
Journals of a Nonconformist
"Genetic ancestry profiling and genealogy: I'm starting to get a better understanding of this subject - and the reality now.  I was, as I have already said, skeptical of the ancestry claims of commercial DNA services.  However, I have seen so many (mainly American) people raving about the services online, that I eventually decided to dip my feet.  That and I just wanted to see my own chromosomal DNA data, and of course, my Neanderthal percentage."
Continue reading...

What’s in a name? A lot. Adoptees given rights to original birth certificates:
The Daily Sentinel
"When a law allowing adoptees to access their original birth certificates went into effect in Colorado on Jan. 1, thousands of people gained the right to see the first document ever recorded about them, just like everyone else born in the state."
Continue reading...

RootsTech 2016: Thursday Sessions
Roots Tech
Thursday Keynote Session - Full 1.53hours
Watch video...

World's Largest Family Tree Chart - designed by Legacy Family Tree
"The world's largest family tree chart was on display for the first time at RootsTech this weekend."
Here's a picture...

This Day In History: 10 February
1763: The Treaty of Paris ends the French-Indian War. France gives up all her territories in the New World except New Orleans and a few scattered islands.
1846: Led by religious leader Brigham Young, the first Mormons begin a long westward exodus from Nauvoo, Il., to Utah.
1863: P.T. Barnum’s star midgets, General Tom Thumb and Lavinia Warren, are married.
1893 Birthday: Jimmy Durante, American comedian and film actor, was born in Manhattan, New York.

No comments: