Friday, January 8, 2016

VGS Latest News & Tips: 8 January 2016

Today: Friday, January 8, 2016:
Genetic Genealogy SIG Meeting
10:00 AM in the Rhett Butler Room at the Savannah Center

War of 1812 Pension Record
The Battle of New Orleans: January 8, 1815
Fold 3
"On the morning of January 8, 1815, British forces attacked American positions outside of New Orleans, Louisiana, resulting in a bloody defeat for the British in the last major battle of the War of 1812."
Continue reading...

How to Start Your Own Family Genealogy Blog?
I'm often asked this question by members at one of our many VGS meetings. I don't know if they really want to do undertake this task or just testing me to see what I know. In my mind there are several ways to do this but I can't explain my thoughts in a minute or two. I think the best way to answer this question is to show you an example of a very interesting blog someone else has created.
It's called iwiKiwi:
View: A Kiwi in search of her Irish, English and Scottish Tribes

Why Do People Contribute to Find A Grave?
where2look4ancestors
"If you’ve followed my blog for any length of time, you may already know I’m a Find A Grave contributor.
In fact, last year my love of cemeteries and headstone photography upstaged my family history research! I believe Find A Grave plays an important role in the preservation of history, art and architecture. And the people laid to rest under each headstone should not be forgotten."
Continue reading...

U.S., School Yearbooks, 1880-2012:
Ancestry
"Find out what your relatives were really like in high school and college with our newly-expanded Yearbooks collection. With 51,000 yearbooks and more than 7 million photos, it’s a treasure trove of fascinating family details."
You must be a subscriber to view this collection.
View Collection

Tombstones: They Come In All Shapes And Sizes
FindaGrave
Every once and a while I come across something in findagrave.com that is a little different from what you usually see in grave memorials. I wish I knew more about who designed or why this design was created.
Here is an example...

10 “Must-Do” Genealogy Projects for January:
Ancestry Findings
"The long, cold month of January is here, and with it, an excellent opportunity to do some new and interesting genealogy projects that are just perfect for this time of year. Just because it’s freezing and possibly snowy outside doesn’t mean you don’t have plenty of things to do with your genealogy research to keep you busy. In fact, some projects are more suited to January than any other month. Here are ten “must-do” genealogy projects for January."
Continue reading...

This Day In History: 8 January
1815: A rag-tag army under Andrew Jackson defeats the British on the fields of Chalmette in the Battle of New Orleans.
1892: A coal mine explosion kills 100 in McAlester, Oklahoma.
1908: A subway line opens linking the New York boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
1862 Birthday: Frank Nelson Doubleday, founder of Doubleday publishing house.


No comments: