Today: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Board of Directors Meeting 9:00 a.m. Pinellas Library
Today: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Board of Directors Meeting 9:00 a.m. Pinellas Library
Today: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
New to Genealogy SIG Meeting
2:30 PM in the Chateaugay Room at the Chatham Recreation Center
Tomorrow: Thursday, January 21, 2016
New England Genealogy SIG Meeting
Noon in the New Smyrna Room at the Sea Breeze Recreation Center
How To Preserve Your Work Before The Internet Eats It:
Poynter
"There's this gradual trend toward more and more access, and of course electronic media provides the easiest and cheapest access to information that we've ever had on the planet," McCain said. "But it's also the most easily lost. We've always had this tradeoff between permanence and accessibility."
Continue reading...
The Most Important Step Missing From Your Genealogy Research:
Crestleaf
“No one is interested in my story.” “Me? I was just a housewife.” “Our family did not do anything special.” “Our family never had much.”
These are some of the responses I received when I began asking my grandmother (at the time in her late 80’s) about her life and family history. So, I got a little sneaky. I pulled out the family photographs and asked her help in identifying the individuals. The stories began to flow.
Continue reading...
The Scars of Our Ancestor’s DNA:
Once Upon a Tree
"I read a super interesting article this week called “Grandma’s Experiences Leave a Mark on Your Genes” by Dan Hurley of Discover magazine and in the article, it talks about how our ancestor’s experiences, both positive and negative, have made their mark in our DNA."
Continue reading...
Ancestors Await Our Discovery:
myAJC
"Just three weeks ago, I learned of my descent from one John Spurlin of Lincoln County, N.C. Born by 1735, his will was probated there in 1822, naming 23 children, including, fairly clearly, my ancestress Nancy Pickard. Why hadn’t I found the connection before?"
Continue reading...
This Day In History: 20 January
1616: The French explorer Samuel de Champlain arrives to winter in a Huron Indian village after being wounded in a battle with Iroquois in New France.
1930: Charles Lindbergh arrives in New York, setting a cross country flying record of 14.75 hours.
1981: Ronald Reagan is sworn in as president at the same time 52 American hostages are released from their captors in Tehran, Iran.
1896 Birthday: George Burns, comedian and actor in vaudeville, radio, television and film.
No comments:
Post a Comment