That “by” Word:
The Legal Genealogist
“I purchased AncestrybyDNA — a waste of money. Got a purple blob circle telling me I am European… I KNOW that. No breakdown of percents, Do not waste your money!”
Uh oh! Warning, Buyer Beware!
Continue reading...
33 Reasons You Should Be Searching Old Newspapers for Your Family History:
The Ancestor Hunt
"I love searching old newspapers and have become addicted to searching them. I have created several tutorials showing how to navigate online newspaper repositories in the U.S. and Canada as well. Check out my YouTube Channel for those.
But beyond looking for obituaries which is rather obvious, what other things can one find in these sometimes one hundred or hundred and fifty year old pieces of paper?"
Continue reading...
What is Encryption, and Why Are People Afraid of It?
How-to-Geek
"With recent acts of terrorism in Paris and Lebanon, news media and government have been using the word “encryption” as if it’s somehow to blame. Nonsense. Encryption is easy to understand, and if you’re not using it, you should be."
Continue reading...
Writing an Ancestor's Story - Reflections of the NANOWRIMO Experience:
My Ancestor's Name
"During the month November, I participated in NANOWRIMO, an online platform that allows writers to get their story out of their head and onto paper, and to bring it to life. The acronym stands for National Novel Writing Month, thus the acronym NANOWRIMO. I decided to participate in the "NANO" experience several months ago and somehow never expected that it would really be anything that I would stick to. I personally felt that if I finished a week's worth of writing, I would be satisfied, and get some of the "I-want-to-write-a-novel" feeling out of my system.
Surprisingly what came forth was a story where I brought characters to life...
Continue reading...
Ruth Starr Rose Shares Visual Accounts of Maryland’s African American Founding Families:
Ancestry.com
"After more than eighty years, artist Ruth Starr Rose is finally receiving recognition for her first-hand accounts of Maryland’s Eastern Shore founding families."
Continue reading...
This Day In History: December 22
1775: Esek Hopkins takes command of the Continental Navy — a total of seven ships.
1829: The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opens the first passenger railway line.
1918: The last of the food restrictions, enforced because of the shortages during World War I, are lifted.
1921 Birthday: Hawkshaw Hawkins (Harold Hawkins), country singer; he died in 1963 along with country stars Patsy Cline and Cowboy Copas when the small plane that was carrying them crashed.
No comments:
Post a Comment