Saturday, August 29, 2015

VGS Reminders: 31 August-4 September 2015

August 2015 Workshop
See related story
Dear John & Jim,
I thought you might enjoy this story.  I attended yesterday's monthly meeting with the webinar on old newspapers from Genealogy Bank.  I had tried a few free searches on this website in the past without much luck so I almost skipped the meeting.  However, knowing how quickly technology changes available information, I thought it was worth taking a second look.

The webinar was full of good information and I came home inspired.  I googled a list of GenealogyBank's current newspaper listings and decided to take the plunge and registered a one year subscription at their current special rate.

I was able to find an article about my great uncle, apparently known as "Honest Tom".  Family tradition mentioned the trouble this man always seemed to find himself in but I never found any such evidence in my research.

Thanks to GenealogyBank by 3 p.m. yesterday I had multiple articles from a Connecticut newspaper that I would have never even thought to look in and in a related article I found his brother's, my great grandfather's, location for a time period that I had wondered where he had moved.  The article doesn't paint a wonderful picture of this particular ancestor but I must admit, I have laughed enough to make the subscription price worth the money!

Linda Agnew
For those who have a GenealogyBank subscription, you can read the article at this LINK.

Thursday, September 3, 2015
Eastern European Genealogy SIG Meeting:
1:00 PM in the Triple Crown Room at Churchill Recreation Center.

Tomorrow, Sunday, August 30th is the final episode of this season for "Who Do You Think You Are?" on TLC at 9:00 p.m.
Thomas "Tom" Bergeron (born May 6, 1955) is an American television personality and game show host, best known as the host of America's Funniest Home Videos (2001–2015) and host of the ABC reality series Dancing with the Stars (2005–present). Tom travels from France to Canada to find a filles du roi, (the king's daughters).

This Day In History: August 29
70: The Temple of Jerusalem burns after a nine-month Roman siege.
1882: Australia defeats England in cricket for the first time. The following day a obituary appears in the Sporting Times addressed to the British team.
1942: The American Red Cross announces that Japan has refused to allow safe conduct for the passage of ships with supplies for American prisoners of war.
1915 Birthday: Ingrid Bergman, Oscar winning actress famous whose films include Casablanca and Anastasia.

No comments: